Wedding geraniums
This weekend the Mr. and I went to a wedding for a pair of his friends he's known since high school. This is what I wore:

It's a vintage Vogue re-issue (2960) made with a Philip Jacob geranium leaf print. I altered the back to make it not so scoopy. The hardest part was the buttons because of a special encasing-the-buttonholes technique. Here's a close-up of the button area:

This is pretty much my favorite pattern; I've made two of these so far. The other one is a gold brocade with pink butterflies—it's my fancy winter party dress (it's nice and warm). They won't be the last dresses I make from this pattern, either. I think at one point or another, every sewer finds a magical pattern that sews up nicely and fits perfectly and flatters and is everything she could dream of. For me, this is The One.
It's a vintage Vogue re-issue (2960) made with a Philip Jacob geranium leaf print. I altered the back to make it not so scoopy. The hardest part was the buttons because of a special encasing-the-buttonholes technique. Here's a close-up of the button area:
This is pretty much my favorite pattern; I've made two of these so far. The other one is a gold brocade with pink butterflies—it's my fancy winter party dress (it's nice and warm). They won't be the last dresses I make from this pattern, either. I think at one point or another, every sewer finds a magical pattern that sews up nicely and fits perfectly and flatters and is everything she could dream of. For me, this is The One.

2 Comments:
OMG I love this dress! I am so going to make it.
Any tips?
Deirdre
Hooray!
Not really. I'd say just measure yourself and check the measurements of the pattern before doing anything. I was actually surprised at how well it went together and how accurately it was sized, which was why I ended up making it again and again. It really does line up well! (And the bust ruching is super easy!)
For me, the skirt was waaaaaay too long, so I had to shorten it. But If you're tall or leggy, it should be fine.
And the back was too scoopy, so I extended it upward.
The buttonholes, by the way, are kind of a pain in the hinder, but it's an interesting technique. If you want to cut down on stress, you could always just do them regular-style.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home