Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Houbigant

After reading an anecdote in Luca Turin's The Secret of Scent about how Marie Antoinette got caught by the smell of her perfume (no one could afford that expensive shit), I decided I had to try a perfume by Houbigant. The Marie Antoinette one having being discontinued long ago, I got a decant of Aperçu.



Notes are: Bergamot, Neroli, Jasmine, Tuberose, Lemon, Green Leaf, Bois De Rose, Geranium, Cinnamon Bark Oil, Ylang-ylang, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Clove, Cassis.

But that almost sounds like it would be a big headache, doesn't it?

It smells grownup with a touch of whimsy. The sort of sophisticated lady who has a sense of humor. Like old money. Like it's an inherited fragrance that, even though you played around and dabbed it on when you were a little girl, you still have to wait a while to grow into it.

It kind of reminds me of the lovely, red-headed, ex-ballerina wife of a man in town who owns several specialty grocery stores (my fella and I know them because the stores are his accounts). Although they're rolling in dough, they live in a somewhat modest-ish house in a decent neighborhood along the lake (rather than in the overblown rich people section of town).* They're the kind of people who ride bikes or walk to get around. They have a glorious garden, and they did all the work themselves (rather than hire people). And she's graceful, yet completely warm and friendly. So that's what it smells like.

A lot of reviewers compare it to Mitsouko, which means I have to go back to my room when I get home and do a side-by-side sniff test, but I think it is spicier. Also, it's light and airy, not thick and heavy, but still has good strength.



* All this being said, we could never afford it. But still...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home