Monday, May 12, 2008

What We've Been Doing



Martin and Simon have been enjoying some daytime snuggles. Usually, I have to keep them separate throughout the day or Simon will eat all of Martin's food. (You can tell. Simon's the one on the right. 18 lbs.) But since Martin usually eats about all he's going to eat for the day by about 2 p.m., I've been able to let them hang out together while I'm home.



Meanwhile, I've also been sewing. That's a raincoat I made out of oilcloth I bought on my trip to the Twin Cities.



I also took the train to visit my mom.



We went to this place that serves waffle sandwiches. I've never had, nor have I ever thought of having, hummus, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber on a waffle before. Turns out it's pretty good.

Oh, and I've also been frantically looking for work and cleaning the yard and planting the garden and mowing my neighbor's lawn so all his dandelions wouldn't spread into my freshly-de-dandelioned yard. (I hand dig all of them out.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Cute kitties! I have a suspicion that "Simon" may be one of the most popular names for male cats -- I know several (including my own).

And I adore your raincoat!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a fabulous raincoat! What a great pattern (and I love how you've lined up the pattern on the front of the coat). I can only dream of having the skill to make something like this. Maybe some day when I finally grow up & focus on something. ;-)

6:26 AM  
Blogger samsara said...

I love your raincoat. What cheery strawberries, and to echo Ms. Distractedmuse, excellent matching of the fabric's pattern. If I had such fun foul weather gear, I'd be delighted even if it rained on my parade. What sort of closures did you use? Was it hard to sew oilcloth?

8:00 AM  
Blogger tea said...

Oh! Thank you thank you thank you, ladies!

The oilcloth was easy to sew. In fact, I thought it would be sticky and gum up the needle, but it was fantastic to work with on that front. On my trip to Minneapolis, I saw lots of things for sale in stores sewn by the oilcloth people (official merch!), so I was able to see that it would be easy to do. Also, a sewing store I went to had a raincoat made of a different pattern (in both senses of the word) than mine. I, however, am obsessed with the whole blue/strawberry theme as I have a pair of pajamas that also have this pattern.

I don't think I'll ever sew something of this scale again, though, with oilcloth because of its inflexibility. It was a bear to wrestle with & feed through the machine.

Also: I actually didn't put any kind of closures on the thing yet. I'm thinking of giant snaps. But it stays shut pretty well, due to aforementioned inflexibility.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, how did you keep the oilcloth pieces together while you sewed? Could you pin it? I'd imagine not. Hmmm.

3:13 PM  
Blogger tea said...

I'm usually pretty sparse with my pinning to begin with (I rely a lot, probably too much, on just holding the fabric together with my fingers while I move it through the presser foot.) But for this one I just kept whatever pins I used safely inside the seam allowance. :)

4:59 PM  
Blogger wundermary said...

Oh, you did such a nice job on the rain coat, it's lovely!

If you ever have to de-dandelion again: it's easier to go around with a paring knife and a salt shaker. Just cut off the top deep enough to expose the root and give it a sprinkle. That was one of my chores as a kid.

10:47 PM  
Blogger MadeByAmanda said...

Love that raincoat! Way to brighten up a drizzly day.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for both those tips - the pinning of PVC, Tea, and the dandelion combat, Wundermary. Wonder if I can persuade my sons to do that job this weekend...?

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home