Safety First
One time I told my friends at Craft Night, "I'm a safety girl."
One of them said, "Really? That surprises me."
And that surprised me. Because I'm one of the most uptight, supremely safe people I know. I'm constantly exercising caution. I'm also constantly requesting that others do the same. (In my house, this is sometimes otherwise referred to as "nagging.")
So when I saw this vintage reproduction fabric with safety precautions printed on it, I had to have it. Here's the ensemble:

Here's the jacket:

Here's how well I did lining up the seams:

And here's the pleat with the green lining showing:

One of them said, "Really? That surprises me."
And that surprised me. Because I'm one of the most uptight, supremely safe people I know. I'm constantly exercising caution. I'm also constantly requesting that others do the same. (In my house, this is sometimes otherwise referred to as "nagging.")
So when I saw this vintage reproduction fabric with safety precautions printed on it, I had to have it. Here's the ensemble:
Here's the jacket:
Here's how well I did lining up the seams:
And here's the pleat with the green lining showing:
Labels: fab, fabric, novelty print, safety, sewing, skirt, vintage

9 Comments:
Oh, that is incredible!
Thank you. :)
Yes, amazing work! What a cute jacket too! What pattern did you use?
Thanks! :)
It's McCall's 5329
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5329.htm?tab=jackets_coats&page=3
(I really need to remember to start citing my sources.)
The skirt is from a vintage Simplicity; I can't remember the number, but I'll be posting a picture of it soon because I'm making another skirt from it. Much like the V2960, the skirt is a favorite stand-by. I really do need to start using some of my other patterns. I have ridiculously many and use ridiculously few.
Ah, Ms. Tea, this fabulous ensemble warms my heart for I am a Safety First girl too. And I do think that a person's novelty print choices should reflect her core values. I'd really love to find some fabric with the choking victim poster printed on it. I mean, you never know when the Heimlich Maneuver will come in handy.
I love the sleeves on the jacket, and, as always, the way you've used the fabric. Having Safety First on the collar is perfect.
I've found that saying, "It's a beautiful day to go to the Emergency Room", generally makes careless persons cease their bungee-jumping-chainsaw-sculpting-in-the-living-room ways.
I think I'll go test the smoke detectors now.
bungee-jumping-chainsaw-sculpting-in-the-living-room.
Ha!
Yeah. :(
Time to go check that the stove is off and all the doors are locked.
That is fabulous.
Each year we have the kids at school brainstorm every rule they can think of, and then we work on creating a class set of rules. My favorite of all time: Never start fires.
Hooray for rules!
I really should have stayed in teaching.
Love that safety fabric. I used some to make a backpack. It was wonderful and I believe the new owner is just as pleased!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home