Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Whether or Weather



I think of scents in terms of colors. Because of this, I tend to match my fragrance wardrobe to my clothing. Or rather, I wear a smell that complements whatever else I’m wearing. But I work backwards. I don’t pick a cologne then an outfit. And I hardly ever choose either thing due to mood (unless I’m in an extreme mood of some sort, like in the pits of winter and depression or the heights of elation when the weather is in the 70s). But, you see, this is exactly where I’m going:

I choose everything based on the weather.

And to me, color is inextricably linked to weather and weather to mood. So when I wake up, I take a look outside. I don’t necessarily determine what I’m going to wear based on whether or not it will be warm or cool enough, though that plays a part in it. Rather, I base it on whether it is sunny or snowing or raining or overcast or foggy or any number of other things associated with the level and quality of moisture in the air. Then I decide whether I want to fight it (red on a gloomy day/gray on a sunny day) or embrace it (gray on a gray day/orange on a sunny one). Of course I take temperature into account, too. So my selections are already inhibited by the range of available sweaters, for example, or airy blouses.

After I’ve decided how to go with that, I determine which cologne will best match. I work backwards again, and decide whether the cologne is mostly woody or mostly fruity. Then I pick an essential oil that will complement it. (I have a short range of these, as they act as my base and go with everything else in one way or another.) [TMI: The essential oil is an *ahem* essential part of the layering because it works in tandem with the deodorant. For example: Aura Cacia’s Root roll-on essential oil with Pure & Basic green tea deodorant.]

Upon assembling the entire underlayers and overlayers of everything, the final element is a spritz or three of the cologne or perfume.

Today, for example, goes like this:

Weather: Gloomy day, gray outside.

Miscellaneous info: Legs still hurt from running, so no dress or skirt due to awkward walking movement.

Clothes/color: Light brown pants, gray Oxford shirt, brown clogs, beige cardigan, bright fuchsia neck scarf.

Oil: Aura Cacia’s Fruit roll-on essential oil (which really smells more like spicy vanilla than fruit).

Deodorant: Nature’s Gate mandarin patchouli (which practically disappears completely once it’s on me).

Spritz: Fiery curry.

Why fiery curry? Because it is a warm yellow. It goes with the neutral tones, but it also infuses everything with a comforting glow. Something grayer would just be too cold to deal with. So instead, I can feel wrapped in a soft blanket of smell today. It’s cozy.

Basically, my whole point is that I’m obsessed with the weather. Especially since moving to a place where talking about the weather is not considered the small talk that it is in places I’ve lived where it doesn’t change much. (Georgia and North Carolina, I’m looking at you.) In Wisconsin, weather is a Big Deal. It rules our lives. We battle it every day. And it changes on us constantly. It’s always on my mind and I’m always fascinated by it. The only time I’m not in complete awe of it is when it *doesn’t* change for a long period. Then I get sick of it and wish someone would shake up the domed globe we’re trapped in.

I should become a climatologist.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

mm. just imagining all these scents mingling makes my mouth water. i think i'm going to go layer on some scents right now...

2:06 PM  
Blogger tea said...

Oh! You should definitely read the invisible magnet blog (in my links). It is super mouth watery.

Also: I didn't comment on your mention of MIM because I'm trying to be incognito (in case work finds my comment there and then finds my blog here). Not that I've got anything to be ashamed of or hide, but you know, separation of church and state and all. :)

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home