Duro
Everyone's got a Duro, right? Here's mine:

The bodice looked a little odd to me where the plackets join, so I added ribbons and buttons.

Here's the sleeve:

The fabric was this lovely polyester charmeuse border print on the $2 rack at [insert giant corporate fabric store's name here]. [Yes, I'm embarrassed to shop there sometimes, but you can't buy everything online from independents, though I do try to get most things that way. By "things" I mean sewing things. Other things I buy from local independents, of course. Why shop online when you can support your own community? Sadly, however, we don't have local fabric or craft stores around here, though there are a few quilting shops and yarn shops. But I digress.]
I was very excited to make use of the border print in this way: Base of print for base of dress; cut off print where design gets denser and use as trim. The blue roses [ah, Tennessee Williams] were sparsely scattered on one edge of the fabric and got thicker at they traveled to the other edge. It was kind of dicey to determine just where the threshold was. I was proud of myself for arranging the pattern pieces adeptly enough to even get away with using less yardage than the pattern had called for, even though I was constricted by the print. It all worked in the end, and I love the way this dress feels when it is on. I feel like I'm floating.
Today, it is finally warm enough to wear it, after a winter of it sleeping in my closet. With turquoise tights and these shoes, of course:

The bodice looked a little odd to me where the plackets join, so I added ribbons and buttons.

Here's the sleeve:

The fabric was this lovely polyester charmeuse border print on the $2 rack at [insert giant corporate fabric store's name here]. [Yes, I'm embarrassed to shop there sometimes, but you can't buy everything online from independents, though I do try to get most things that way. By "things" I mean sewing things. Other things I buy from local independents, of course. Why shop online when you can support your own community? Sadly, however, we don't have local fabric or craft stores around here, though there are a few quilting shops and yarn shops. But I digress.]
I was very excited to make use of the border print in this way: Base of print for base of dress; cut off print where design gets denser and use as trim. The blue roses [ah, Tennessee Williams] were sparsely scattered on one edge of the fabric and got thicker at they traveled to the other edge. It was kind of dicey to determine just where the threshold was. I was proud of myself for arranging the pattern pieces adeptly enough to even get away with using less yardage than the pattern had called for, even though I was constricted by the print. It all worked in the end, and I love the way this dress feels when it is on. I feel like I'm floating.
Today, it is finally warm enough to wear it, after a winter of it sleeping in my closet. With turquoise tights and these shoes, of course:

2 Comments:
Beautiful! I love the fabric and what cute shoes!
I feel very much the way you do about supporting independent and local stores. The big boxes have their place (like convenience), but quality, interesting range of fabric/yarn/books/[insert interest] are the bread and butter of local and/or independents.
Hey! Thanks for your comments! You're so funny--I didn't take it the wrong way at all... :-) Jenn
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home